Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Loot Crate - Limited Edition Star Wars Crate

There has been an awakening. Loot Crate has realized the potential in selling limited edition themed Crates, and with all the excitement over "The Force Awakens", making one for "Star Wars" was a no-brainer.

When I first saw the $100 USD US / $130 USD International price tag on the "Star Wars" Crate, I was going to pass on it. Jess actually laughed at Loot Crate's audacity in charging so much. However, our good friend Tom had purchased a "Fallout" Crate not long ago and insisted that not only would the "Star Wars" one be worth the cost, it would actually blow our minds. He even ordered a "Star Wars" Crate himself to prove his point. I have to admit that I was pretty much convinced since Tom is not only honest, but also quite particular. So, Jess and I ordered a "Star Wars" Crate.

Fast-forward to December 18th - the day "The Force Awakens" opened in theatres. I woke up to find a giant Loot Crate at the door. Here, have a look!


If you can't tell, the box is approximately the size of 4 regular Loot Crates! Wow! And, check out the cool Millennium Falcon label.


Cool, right? Now, here's what Jess and I were greeted with when we opened the box after seeing "The Force Awakens" on the 20th:


Want to know my reaction? Here's an animated GIF to help you imagine it:


Once I picked myself up off the floor, Jess and I went through the items. Here's a list with approximate Canadian pricing:

- Star Wars Toque ($30.00 CAD)
- Star Wars Scarf ($30.00 CAD)
- BB-8 Raglan Tee ($20.00 CAD)
- Darth Vader Poptater ($20.00 CAD)
- Star Wars Little Golden Books ($35.94 CAD)
- Vader Down #001 Comic ($6.00 CAD)
- Metal Earth Kylo Ren Shuttle ($15.00 CAD)
- Rebel Alliance Gadget Pouch ($18.00 CAD)
- BB-8 10 oz Ceramic Mug ($12.00 CAD)

Loot Crate Box


Before I talk about the items in the box, I wanted to mention that the box itself has an incredible Millennium Falcon design on the inside. I was absolutely blown away by it.

Star Wars Toque


I'm Canadian. This is a toque, not a "pom beanie hat". The design is fantastic, but I have to admit that the size is too small for both Jess and myself.

Star Wars Scarf


Where the toque is small, the scarf is huge! I have never owned a scarf this long before, which is why I'm going to be wearing it this winter. In fact, I wore it yesterday and got some very positive comments from passersby!

BB-8 Raglan Tee


I also wore this shirt yesterday because the design is amazing. Simple, but stylish. I love it!

Darth Vader Poptater


Poptaters are 6" Mr. Potato Head toys that, I assume, are trying to compete with Pop! Vinyls by Funko. Aside from having "Pop" in the name, there are also more and more Poptaters for different fandoms, like "Breaking Bad", horror icons, and Marvel Comics. There are, of course, Poptaters for "Star Wars" and the one in this Crate is a collector's edition Darth Vader. It looks just like a regular Darth Vader Mr. Potato Head, so I'm not sure what's special about it. But, hey, it's still pretty cool.

Star Wars Little Golden Books


This is a set of 6 books that take the original "Star Wars" movies and turns them into kids books. They're great for introducing children to "Star Wars" and Jess and I are definitely going to read them to our kids when we have them.

Vader Down #001 Comic


For the older reader, Loot Crate provided the first issue of the new "Vader Down" comic series, complete with variant cover. Nice!

Metal Earth Kylo Ren Shuttle


I've seen Metal Earth 3D Models at 401 Games in Toronto quite a few times and have always been tempted to get the Millennium Falcon, but have been hesitant since I'm not sure if I'll enjoy building it since the metal looks kind of flimsy and I feel like I'd probably break a piece or two. Well, now I can test out the sturdiness of Metal Earth models by building Kylo Ren's shuttle! Sweet!

Rebel Alliance Gadget Pouch


If "gadget" equals "make-up", yeah, this is a gadget pouch. More specifically, it's a gadget pouch that now belongs solely to Jess. :p

BB-8 10 oz Ceramic Mug


My favourite item in the entire Crate is this mug. BB-8 was a surprisingly wonderful character in "The Force Awakens" and this mug captures her cuteness quite well. I'm only moderately disturbed that I'd be drinking out of his head. (Yes, I'm purposely using both male and female possessive adjectives. LOL)

OVERVIEW

I have to admit that there was a part of me that was quite worried that I wouldn't be getting my money's worth due to the very high cost of this Loot Crate. $130 US is around $180 CAD after all due to the stupidly weak Canadian Dollar. If you add up the approximate values of the items, you'll notice that it's just a few dollars over $180 CAD, so technically, we're pretty much only breaking even up here in the Great White North. However, when it comes to the items themselves, I think they're worth every penny, err, nickel. We don't have pennies anymore...

All in all, I'm extremely impressed and very happy with this Limited Edition Loot Crate. Great items, decent value, and lots of excitement. Would I buy another Limited Edition Crate? With the cost in mind, it would have to be for a fandom I care a lot about. For those of you who love something enough to spend this kind of money, I say head on over to the Loot Crate Web Site and go for it!

Stay tuned for more coming soon this month. And, as always, thank you!

~ Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment