Sunday, March 30, 2014

Loot Crate - March, 2014 - Titan

Hey, peeps! Mike here, and Jess and I are excited to bring you our first ever Loot Crate entry. As some of you may already know, I used to subscribe to Nerd Block. However, after months of disappointment, I nerdvorced them and jumped over to Loot Crate.


For those of you who haven't heard of Loot Crate, it is a monthly subscription box that caters towards "nerds" and "geeks". Each month, subscribers get a themed box of 6 to 8 items. What's interesting is that Loot Crate has different subscription programs. Here's a breakdown:

1 Month Plan - $19.37 USD / $29.95 CAD per month
3 Month Plan - $55.11 USD / $84.00 CAD per 3 months 
6 Month Plan - $105.99 USD / $162.00 CAD per 6 months

MARCH, 2014 - TITAN

The theme of the March Loot Crate this year is "Titan", which is a combination of the Anime "Attack on Titan" and the video game "Titanfall". When I got my Loot Crate, I was a little concerned by the smaller size of the box compared to Nerd Block. However, it didn't rattle when shook like with Nerd Block, so I figured the box was either completely full or had some kind of stuffing to keep things in place. Let's see what was inside:


- Loot Crate Mini Magazine ($2.00 CAD)
- Loot Crate Theme Magnet ($3.00 CAD)
- Loot Crate Theme Pin ($0.75 CAD)
- Titanfall T-Shirt ($15.00 CAD)
- Titanfall Lanyard ($5.00)
- Titanfall Prima eGuide Voucher ($9.99 CAD)
- Attack on Titan - Volume 1 ($11.99 CAD)
- Attack on Titan Wrist Sweat Band ($4.99)
- Salt Water Taffy x 2 ($0.75 CAD)
- Coupon Card

Loot Crate Mini Magazine


I was pleasantly surprised to find a full-colour mini magazine when I first opened my Loot Crate that introduces "Attack on Titan" and "Titanfall". I appreciate that the people who put this box together understood that not everyone is a fan of or even knows about the two showcased titles. But, what really blew me away was the amount of detail the magazine goes into. There are reviews, an interview, and even descriptions and photos of the included items! Here, check out this pic:

Review of "Attack on Titan"

Loot Crate Theme Magnet


You may have noticed that the cover of the mini magazine features a pretty awesome art piece that combines "Titanfall" and "Attack on Titan". Well, that art is also found on a custom magnet! I already have it on my fridge. It's too good not to display!

Loot Crate Theme Pin


As if one piece of custom art wasn't enough, Loot Crate included a pin featuring a second "Attack on Titanfall" art piece! Fantastic!

Titanfall T-Shirt


I have too many black T-shirts in my closet because of Nerd Block and you've heard me complain about it, but I was not dismayed when I received this black "Titanfall" shirt from Loot Crate since it has a pretty cool design and I'm definitely going to wear it. I just hope Loot Crate doesn't end up having the same black shirt problem as Nerd Block.

Titanfall Lanyard


I don't know what I am going to use this lanyard for, but it looks really cool. Maybe the next time I go to Disney World with Jess, I can use it for Pin Trading?

Titanfall Prima eGuide Voucher


For those of you who don't own "Titanfall" or don't plan on ever owning it, this is pretty useless. Me, I'm planning on getting it on PC since I don't think I will get a XBOX One anytime soon. So, the inclusion of a voucher that gets me a Prima eGuide for the game is quite welcome.

Attack on Titan - Volume 1


As if a review of "Attack on Titan" in the mini magazine wasn't enough, Loot Crate went one step further and included the first volume of the Manga. Honestly, I think this is a phenomenal intro to the series for anyone who is not into it. Me, I've watched the Anime, but have been eyeing the comics. Well, now I have no excuse not to read them. :p

Attack on Titan Wrist Sweat Band


Do you want to feel like a part of the Recon Corps while playing tennis? Badminton? Basketball? Some sport where players wear wrist bands? Well, this is the perfect item for that. I think it looks great and the quality is pretty good. I'm going to bring it to the gym with me!

Salt Water Taffy x 2


I just... I don't... I... OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM...!!!

Coupon Card



Finding coupons to save money on stuff is pretty sweet. I won't personally be using any of the ones from this Loot Crate since I already have a good gaming headset and have no need for a game system carrier or gaming glasses. But, I'm sure some of you out there would find the discounts useful, so this coupon card gets a thumbs up from me.

OVERVIEW

I was completely blown away by my first Loot Crate. In fact, I was more impressed with this box than any of the Nerd Blocks I received. The theme was great, the introduction of the theme was phenomenal, and the items were well worth the more expensive Canadian subscription price.

I honestly think having a theme every month instead of just throwing in random items is a great idea. I signed up on the 18th of this month and already knew what the theme was going to be going in. The Loot Crate site says you can cancel at least 48 hours before your next billing date (which can be found in your profile on the site). So, depending on when you signed up and which plan you're on, you may be able to cancel if there is a theme you don't like and then sign up again when a good one comes along. Brilliant!

At this time, I can confidently recommend Loot Crate for anyone looking for a nerdy subscription box. Based on this month's box and the previous boxes shown on Loot Crate's web site, I also feel it is a better product than Nerd Block. I am extremely glad that Jess found Loot Crate and that both her and by buddy Ryan encouraged me to jump on board.

If you're interested in Loot Crate, please check out their Web Site.

Alrighty, that's all for now. See you again soon!

~ Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment