Thursday, December 5, 2013

JULEP - November, 2013

My first monthly subscription box! So exciting! I have been intrigued by this idea since Michael got his Nerd Blocks and, when I went looking for one I could order (as a nerd, I love the idea of the Nerd Block but there is no point in ordering two) , found out there was the same concept out there, but for beauty products! I am what Jenna Marbles would call a Goo Hoarder (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1usT9C04Foc *WARNING* Swearing*) so this whole idea was magical to me. Plus, I am not an expert in makeup, just the basics, so I thought this might be a good way to find new products and therefore new techniques. Anyway - to the box! This box is from Julep.com. When I signed up for their monthly subscription box (Which costs $19.99 US including shipping) I used a code to get an intro box for free! (current code FREEBOX). Already love the company just for offering a great deal right off the bat.

So this is the intro box I received, which took around 6 business days to arrive.


I took their intro quiz and they told me I was "Classic with a Twist". Now, if you don't like the style they give you, you can choose another one if you want to and have the option to change your style every month but I really liked the "Classic with a Twist" box.

I received two polishes - Myrtle  and Zora. I really like both colours. All Julep nail polishes do  "not contain formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, or DBP" which I'm guessing is a good thing. They are also made in the US which I like. Both polishes are $14 or $11.20 Maven Price, which is the 20% discount they offer to subscribers.

I also received Luxe Repair Skin Serum ($28 / $22.40 Maven Price). I tried it last night and it went on nicely and didn't burn but there was a slight tingle. I can't say for certain after only one use but my skin did seem nice and fresh in the morning.
(Update: Have used this a few times.  No adverse skin reactions, and, maybe it's just my imagination, but I feel like my skin looks tighter [in a good way] after using this at night. I have lines on my forehead and between my eyebrows from frowning/squinting and they seemed a lot less visible after using this)
Julep also offers add-ons at checkout on any order for a discount so I ordered their Freedom Polymer Top Coat ($18 / $14.40 Maven Price) and  Julep Acetone-Free Conditioning Nail Polish Removal ($14 / $11.20 Maven Price). I got both for $4.99, a pretty great deal! 

I liked the remover, it worked well and not a strong scent but I found the dispenser a little finicky.

(Update: Really like the nail polish remover, and the dispenser is actually really practical. Its worked pretty well so far and I even used it to take off glitter polish [it took some work but I did it], so I'm very happy with this)

The top coat is supposed to work like a gel but goes on like a polish and using only natural light. I don't have any experience with top coats except at the Nail salon but I think it works pretty well. My nails really shined after application. They did chip after a few days but  only slightly. I didn't use a base coat and don't have the best application techniques yet so I'm not going to hold against the top coat just yet. I'm going to try a few more times and see.

So, I'm really happy with my first Julep box. I paid $12 and received a box worth  $88 or $70.40 Maven price. Julep also threw in a small reusable shopping bag as a bonus. Not bad! I'm excited to use what I got more and see what I get in my first actual monthly Julep box.

If you would like to sign up for your own Julep box, please consider using my referral link: http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/442026/ and don't forget to use the code FREEBOX to get your intro box free!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jess. I'm curious to know whether you've continued your Julep subscription & which items you've picked in the last few months. I began subscribing a month after you did, and I'm already starting to get a little burned out; there's just not a world of variety in the boxes, and the value doesn't seem all that high. Are you still enthusiastic about Julep?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty,
    Sorry for the late reply! I did continue my subscription but I had a family emergency and this whole blog plan fell by the wayside (hopefully I'll get around to posting all my Subscriptions box goodies soon - I have a lot!). I chose the Classic With a Twist Beauty Box in December (Eyeshadow, with Jillian and Mia polishes), I skipped January (cuticle remover just didn't sound good for my nails!) and for February I went with the Modern Beauty Box, to get the Eye Sheen, Eyeliner and Brush (just seemed like the best deal). I chose the Bombshell box for March, mostly for the nail colours - the lipgloss I could take or leave. I do like the boxes but feel like I might skip the next few months. I took advantage of their sales over the holidays and also got one of their Mystery Boxes so now I have so much nail polish, I'm not sure if I need anymore. But the thing I like best about Julep is they send you an e-mail reminder each month, a choice of 4 boxes, 4 days to think it over, and a very easy to use 'Skip' option. Other boxes I'm subscribed to just automatically charge you without warning, so you have to be diligent. With Julep, I don't feel I have to Cancel because they remind me and I skip if I need to. So, to make a short story long(:P) I'm mostly still enthusiastic about the box, but might get it every 2-3 months rather than once a month. If you are looking for subscriptions that are more cosmetics and beauty, I would recommend Top Box and Ipsy's Glam Bag - they are relatively inexpensive ($12 and $14.95) and you get a good variety of samples each month in very cute containers. I'm going to keep my subscription to both of these. Will try to post my boxes from them this weekend if you want to take a look. Thanks for reading! Cheers! - Jess

    ReplyDelete