Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Nerd Block - September, 2013 (Here we goooooo!)

Hi, everybody! Welcome to "In Box with Mike & Jess". Mike here, and I'm happy to start off our blog by sharing with you the September, 2013 Nerd Block.

I am admittedly quite the nerd. My brain is filled with useless facts about fictional characters who wear their underpants over their spandex bodysuits and attach blankets to their backs. If you're anything like me, then you'll really appreciate Nerd Block. It is a monthly subscription box of nerd goodies that began back in September of this year. Now, as much as I'd love to show you what my November box has, I'm going to save it for an entry in the near future because I really want to start at the beginning. So, here we goooooo!

NERD BLOCK
- $19.99 USD plus shipping per month
- $30 CAD total per month in Canada
- arrives around mid-month in Canada

September, 2013
I was extremely excited to receive the first ever Nerd Block back in September. The box you see in the picture arrived packed in a brown shipping box that felt sturdy and survived the trip to my house with very little damage. The Nerd Block's box was surprisingly nice as well. I really liked the design when I first saw it. I also appreciated that it was the slide-out type of box since it is easier to open.

On to the good stuff! When I opened the box, I got the following items, with rough prices next to them in brackets:

- Gremlins T-Shirt ($15)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Leonardo Pop! Figure ($12)
- The Big Bang Theory Funko Mystery Minis Figure ($8)
- Galactic Guardians HeroClix Single Figure ($6)
- Topps Wacky Packages Sticker Pack ($3.50)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Stickers by GelaSkins ($5)

The T-Shirt was just "okay". I'm a fan of Gremlins, but for a "First Shirt Ever", I felt Nerd Block somewhat dropped the ball. I have worn the shirt since getting it, though, so I guess that's a good thing. But, it's not a shirt I would have bought if I saw it in a store. Honestly, I think the shirt will eventually become a shirt I wear at home while doing various chores, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. This means I don't have to buy another shirt to replace my beaten-up "Slap Bet Commissioner" shirt.

I LOVE the Leonardo Pop! figure. I'm a huge fan of the Pop! series and to get a Turtles figure in the box really made my day. I wish I had gotten Michelangelo, though, since he is my favourite. But, Leo will do. I just have to wait for a sale at my local store to get Mikey to add to my collection.

My other favourite item in the Nerd Block was the Big Bang Theory figure. I didn't know they had vinyls for that show, so I was pleasantly surprised. I ended up getting Amy, who is one of my favourite characters. SWEET!

I collect HeroClix, but was still surprised to see one included. In case you didn't know, HeroClix is a collectible miniature figure game by WizKids. You and your friends build armies with little figures and then battle it out on a game board. Unless you already play HeroClix or are a collector, including a single HeroClix figure in a NerdBlock is almost useless. From a marketing standpoint, I guess it makes sense since I'm sure WizKids thinks that by including a single figure, some Nerd Block subscribers will think it's cool enough to look into and maybe even purchase the game. But, I feel a single figure is not enough, especially since it's a blind box and people might get a figure they don't like. I think a better idea for including HeroClix is to either go with a starter set or one of the packages that includes multiple figures. This way, people start out with an army and can play with people who own the game or friends who also subscribe to Nerd Block. This is a better way to generate interest than giving people a single figure.

The final two items ended up being quite useless to me. I have no interest in collecting Wacky Packages stickers and the Ninja Turtles stickers claim to be for mobile devices, but I have no use for hexagons that fit nowhere. The only thing I can think to do with the Wacky Packages stickers is give them to my niece. As for the Ninja Turtles, I may also give them to my niece. However, I can see them being put onto the backs of laptops or tablets by Nerd Block subscribers who do that to their devices. (The receptionist at my office has Snow White on her Macbook.)

All in all, the stuff in my very first Nerd Block were worth the price of admission. The shirt, Pop! figure, and Big Bang Theory vinyl on their own already cost more than the whole package with shipping. Although I was personally disappointed with some other items, I can see the logic behind having them. I'm sure others probably liked them more than me. Did I continue to be a Nerd Block subscriber after the first delivery? You bet! More entries are to come!

Aaaaaaand, that's the first entry to "In Box with Mike & Jess". We both hope you enjoyed the read and found the information helpful. Stay tuned for Nerd Block October, 2013 and a review of Disney's new Marvel Comics Vinylmations.

~ Mike Chan

No comments:

Post a Comment